10 Fun Facts About Horses
It’s no secret that everyone who lives on or works at a Texas dude ranch most likely loves horses. Horseback riding is an integral part of the Silver Spur experience, after all! We’re pretty much experts on all things horses here at the Silver Spur, but sometimes they can surprise even us. So we did a little research and came up with these 10 fun facts about horses that you probably didn’t know. A lot of them stumped even us!
- A horse’s teeth take up more space in its head than its brain
- Speaking of teeth, male horses typically have more teeth than females
- Horses use facial expressions to show their mood
- Horses can run within a few hours of being born
- Horses can see almost 360 degrees because their eyes are on the sides of their heads
- Horse can produce up to 10 gallons of saliva per day
- Horses breathe through their noses and are unable to breathe through their mouths
- Horses typically drink at least 25 gallons of water a day
- Horses’ hearts typically weight between 9 and 10 pounds
- Horses can rotate their ears up to 180 degrees
These are just some of many fun facts about horses. We hope you enjoyed them as much as we did! If you’d like some firsthand experiences with horses, book a stay at the Silver Spur Ranch! We’re a friendly Texas dude ranch that offers horseback riding and lodging in beautiful Texas Hill Country. So book your next Texas dude ranch stay with us!